Terms and Conditions
'We' are Butterfly Conservation and Biological Records Centre (a group within the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology), responsible for the creation and maintenance of the National Moth Recording Online website.
'You' are the user of the National Moth Recording Online website.
This website uses an Indicia Data Warehouse hosted by the Biological Records Centre (a group within the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology).
Using the NMRS Online website
The National Moth Recording Scheme Online survey and data sharing is linked to iRecord, a website for sharing wildlife observations irecord.org.uk, enabling them to be checked by experts.
You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party. Such restriction or inhibition includes, without limitation, conduct which is unlawful, or which may harass or cause distress or inconvenience to any person, and the transmission of obscene or offensive content or disruption of normal flow of dialogue within this site.
If you do not agree, please do not use the site.
Age of users
Do not use this website if you are under 13 years of age.
Cancelling your account
The basis on which we process any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to use, is covered by our Privacy Notice.
Non-personal data content
When you use the National Moth Recording Online website, you create and upload content - for instance, wildlife observations, photos of wildlife, your descriptions of it, and messages to the forums. By putting this information on the site, you are saying that:
- the content is yours, or you have the permission of the owner to agree to this usage
- you agree that the content can be used on this site
- you agree that your wildlife observations (excluding photos) can be made publicly available for wider use and may be shared with other relevant data users (see below)
- you agree that your records will be available to expert verifiers acting on behalf of the National Moth Recording Scheme, who may contact you in connection with those records, and may add comments or add a corrected species identification to the records
- you agree that any media (photos, videos, sound recordings) uploaded with biological records will be assigned to your preferred Creative Commons Licence.
- you warrant that media (photos, video, sound recordings) uploaded with biological records are entirely your own work and have not been copied in whole or in part from any third party and do not infringe any third-party intellectual property rights.
- you retain ownership of the copyright in the media (photos, video, sound recordings) uploaded with biological records as the author.
- media (photos, video, sound recordings) you upload with biological records should not include images of people without their explicit permission
- you agree that your media (photos, video, sound recordings) uploaded with biological records may be used by UKCEH or partners we work with for training classification algorithms, regardless of the licence applied to your photos, in accordance with advice from the government’s Intellectual Property Office.
Records will also be made available to other organisations with a bona fide use for biological records. This may include the following organisations and may be extended to other organisations in future: Local Environment Record Centres, Country Nature Conservation Bodies, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, the National Trust, the National Trust Scotland, the Woodland Trust, the National Biodiversity Network (via their Atlas websites), and the Global Biodiversity Information Facility.
Where species are deemed to be “sensitive” by NMRS Online or by iRecord the record may have its location blurred, or may be treated as confidential. Lists of sensitive species may include, but may not be limited by, lists agreed with the UK government conservation agencies.
Relationship with the iRecord website
Records and photos that you add to NMRS Online will be shared with the iRecord website (irecord.org.uk) where they will be publicly visible. As described above, expert verifiers may contact you with queries and feedback about your records, and such messages will come from the iRecord website, which is where the verification process happens.
If you use, or wish to use, the iRecord website or related apps as well in addition to the NMRS Online website (e.g. if you wish to record species other than moths), we strongly recommend that you use the same email address to register on the different sites, so that your records will be linked together and all shown as part of your set of records. However, there is no requirement for NMRS Online users to register with iRecord.
Accuracy of information
The information in this website is given in good faith and for general information and interest only. It is subject to change without notice. We are not responsible for any inaccuracies and make no representation and give no warranty as to its accuracy.
The information in this website should not be relied on and does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation. By using this website you confirm that you have not relied on any such information. Any arrangements made between you and any third party named or referred to on the website are entirely at your sole risk and responsibility.
Nothing on this website is intended to be nor should be construed as an offer to enter into a contractual relationship.
Linking to the NMRS Online website
NMRS Online welcomes and encourages other websites to link to the information that is hosted on these pages. You do not have to ask permission to link but wording and linking graphics can be requested if necessary by emailing email@example.com.
Links from this site
Links and frames connecting this site with other sites are for convenience only and do not constitute endorsement or approval by Butterfly Conservation, BRC or UKCEH, or our parent bodies of those other sites, their content or the people who run them. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and have no control over the availability of linked pages or their content.
It is the responsibility of the Internet user to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and correctness of information found at sites linked from this website.
We make every effort to check and test material at all stages of production. It is always wise for you to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the internet. We cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system which may occur while using material derived from this website.
All information provided by Butterfly Conservation and UKCEH on this website is made available to provide immediate access for the convenience of interested persons. While we believe the information to be reliable, human or mechanical error remains a possibility. Therefore, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or correct sequencing of the information. Neither we, nor any of the sources of the information, shall be responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the use of or results obtained from the use of this information.
Changes to these terms
These terms may be updated from time to time (current version is 10 November 2021). The latest version will always be available here. If changes are made to these terms in the future, a prominent notice will be posted on the website.